Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Today I got signed off for my first solo cross-country! I flew to Houston Executive (KTME) and back. 26V was having some issues today - almost immediately my right fuel gauge was reading zero, but I personally checked it before takeoff and knew there was 15 gallons in there. Also, I couldn't get a reading off the engine temperature gauge, but everything else checked out okay so I continued on. Despite wind gusts and the sun being out, the air was smooth up at 3500 ft. For the route there, I used ground references: first was a railroad runing from east to west, next was Hempstead. I couldn't find the last checkpoint, but by then I was within visual range and picked up the runway easily. The airport was a quiet place near Katy in the middle of some open fields, just north of I-10. I used the College Station VOR to fly straight back, and with a strong tailwind I made the trip in 25 minutes. A USAF T-1 from Randolph, callsign 'Tonto 42', was busy in the pattern back at Easterwood, so I took the opportunity to hold over campus and flew over Kyle Field.

Thursday night I'll be flying to Mexia-Limestone County Aiport, and sometime soon I'll be taking the FAA Written Exam. Only six more flights left in the syllabus!

Solo XC: 1.5 hrs
Total Log Time: 24.8 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment