Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Flight Log 03-02

The winds were gusting to 19 kts today, so my endorsement limitations kept me from making that first solo once again. Just so my time wasn't a complete waste, I asked if we could go through my records to make sure everything has been properly logged and signed off so there aren't any hold-ups when it comes time for me to take the private pilot checkride. Sure enough, flight #10 had some loose ends. The curriculum for each flight has two categories of tasks: new tasks that are to be performed, and skills that should be checked on for profeciency. Some of the "improving skills" boxes were not checked off. The instructor who was with me on the flight said they were not checked off because we didn't do them, because I had demonstrated proficiency on the previous flights and he felt it would be a waste of time (and money) to re-check. The instructor reviewing my files made the point that FAA regulations state everything must at least be signed off on in the paperwork. Eventually it was decided that we should just fire up the plane and go do them for integrity's sake. S-turns, turns about a point, and some quizzing over emergency descents, fire, and engine-out situations. On one landing, about 50 feet off the ground, I was told "there's a moose on the runway!" He was testing my reflexive responses for aborting a landing, but I thought he could have come up with a more practical scenario than the elusive Brazos Valley moose.

Flight #10...b? 1.0 hrs
Total Log Time: 11.3 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment