Saturday, April 24, 2010

One more flight!

Friday (4/23) was my last scheduled solo flight. The winds stayed down and the clouds cleared just in time for me to fly at 2pm. After takeoff I made a quick run-through of ground reference maneuvers just outside the College Station airspace, then flew over to Coulter to practice short-field landings. Lately I've been struggling to get the plane down on target, and today I was landing long by about 50 feet each time. After the third attempt I was satisfied. One more technique I needed to practice was a forward-slip to landing, which is useful when you are coming in too high and fast, or need to make a steep approach over obstacles. A slip is performed by banking the aircraft into the wind about 10-15 degrees, then jamming the rudder in the opposite direction to make the aircraft fly straight ahead instead of turning. This combination of crossed control surfaces generates a lot of drag and 'turns on the elevator' as we like to call it- you really come down fast! Once over the runway you neutralize the controls and return to a normal level-flight attitude for landing. Today's flight time: 1.2 hrs

If weather stays clear I will make my final progress check on Monday. As long as the examiner is available, I will take the practical exam sometime in the middle of the week!

Logbook Totals

Total:  33.8 hrs
Night:   3.0 hrs
Solo:    7.7 hrs
X-C:      6.6 hrs
IFR:      3.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment