Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Long Day In the Air

One of the most exhausting flights to date. Today we covered everything from day one to present, and made a thorough check of all my skills. After demonstrating ground reference manuever proficiency (turns about a point, s-turns, etc.) I went 'under the hood' for instrument flight. From the very start I was struggling to stay on top of the controls - the thermals were bouncy today. I would check the airspeed for a second, then find I was 200' above altitude. As I was fixing that issue I caught sight of a drifting heading indicator, and the artificial horizon displayed I was in a 10 degree bank to one side. In the process of returning to my assigned heading I could hear the engine RPM's rising, and sure enough I had entered a dive and the airspeed was climbing. It was pretty warm out today too, and the air vents in the cockpit weren't doing much to keep me cool. No sooner would I finally feel like I had the airplane trimmed out, I would receive a new set of instructions. Not wanting to delay the progression of today's lesson (and having the stubborn 'Right Stuff' mentallity...) I complied without requesting a pause to get my gimbals in order. Had this been the checkride exam I certainly would have stopped for a breather! We wrapped up instrument work with the dizzying unusual attitude recoveries.

After flying blind for nearly an hour, I removed the hood and was instructed to proceed towards Coulter Field in Bryan - a new airport for the list! Coulter was northeast of my position (060 degrees) at 10nm, but when I turned to heading, nothing looked right. The airport in front was most definately Hearne, and the distance readout (DME) was increasing up through 12nm... After cross-checking my naviagtion radios, I realized that the heading indicator was about 100 degrees off from the magnetic compass- during the unusual attitude phase, my instructor had twisted the knob around to intentionally offset it and fool me. I was thoroughly confused and flying in the wrong direction for a while, but eventually I caught it. Over Coulter we simulated an engine out scenario; once it was clear that I had the runway made I throttled up and performed a go-around. After a normal approach to landing and a short-field landing (which I overshot by 120') we returned to Easterwood. I made a nice soft-field landing, setting down easy and keeping the nosewheel up. 2.0 hours today; I was exhausted. This was the last 'lesson' with an instructor, next is a solo to work on weaknesses, then a final progress check before being signed off for THE exam!

Logbook: 32.6 hrs

       

No comments:

Post a Comment