Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Final Prog Check, pt. 1 & 2

Monday was a long day at the airport, consisting of 2 hours of oral quizzing and another 2 hours with the aircraft. Neither portions of the curriculum were completely finished today. In the air I showed my skills well, successfully navigating and flying via instruments. A new maneuver was added - on the checkout before the exam they want me to try something new? - I performed a power-on stall while in a climbing turn. A bit different and a little more hairy because the plane is less stable and more susceptible to entering a spin. Time was running out so we landed, logging 1.4 hours.

Day 2 was set for Tuesday. Due to time constraints (and class) I could only fit in the flying portion. Today was focused on ground-reference and emergency procedures. During the emergencies I spent a lot of time buzzing farmer's fields- on several occassions I brought the plane down to 50 feet before the go-around was ordered! No sooner would I climb up maybe 500', the engine would 'quit' again and I would have to evaluate my options and make vital decisions once again. With a descent rate of 500 feet/min, you get 60 seconds from the time the engine goes out until you're on the ground. Remeber the ABC's of engine failure: A-airspeed; establish best glide speed of 65kts - full aft trim. B-best field; no runways, the roads are too narrow and lined with powerlines - plenty of open fields - landing into the wind is optimal - land with the crop rows... not across! C-cockpit checks, if time permits - fuel valve on both, mixture rich, carburetor heat on, ignition switch on, primer in and locked. The engine is still out, we're committed to a landing. I really enjoyed this section as it gave me a chance to simulate what I would need to do in the event of an engine failure on takeoff. The last time my short-field landings were evaluated it was nearly six weeks ago, and I received high marks. Since then those skills were unused and got rusty! I picked up a new tip today and hit the touchdown point within 10 feet. After 1.2 hours in the air, the flying portion of my progress check was complete.

The remaining oral exam review session will be on Thursday. Today I got a call from Bob Hans, the Practical Test examiner - he had been away on a trip to London (he's an airline pilot) and said he wouldn't be available until May 10th. Then he asked where I was located... after learning that I was with Brazos Valley Flight Service at Easterwood, he asked if I wanted to meet him at the airport in two hours! Today would have been perfect for the final exam, but a plane was not available and I had a project to work on. As of right now, the test is slated for Sunday at 9am. Hopefully skipping church for the test isn't bad luck!

Total Log Time: 36.4 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment